SocialEngine PHP Version 4.8.9 Now Available for Download
We’re still a few notches away from seeing the release of SocialEngine v5.0 so if you were looking for a major face lift you won’t find it in v4.8.9. I’m not saying there’s nothing exciting about this version update but the changes made were largely maintenance related – bug fixes. The most exciting change in v4.8.9 is the improved Ning Import Tool.
Moving Your Ning Network to SocialEngine Just Got Better
The previous Ning Import Tool was fairly robust in that it made allowance for the transfer of almost all forms of a network’s content (blog and forum posts, status updates etc). However, the migration of pages and comments posted on blogs were not supported. The updated import tool now supports the migration of these content types. The SocialEngine Dev Team also implemented a few fixes for issues that plagued the previous import tool. More details on the improved Ning Import Tool will be made available in a subsequent post.
Thinking of importing your Ning 2.0 Network to SocialEngine PHP? View our Ning to SocialEngine Import Tutorial for guidance.
Major ‘Bug” Fixes
YouTube created a major headache for Network Creators on just about every platform (including SocialEngine) when they updated their API. SocialEngine PHP v4.8.9 brings with it a much needed fix for the frustrating YouTube API issue. It also resolved issues related to Facebook’s API update.
Search Engines crawling your website is always welcomed news except for when it’s not wanted. The last thing you’d want is for Google to start indexing pages on your site while they’re still being built. That’s SEO suicide. The “bug” that allowed search engines to index pages with “maintenance mode” engaged has been fixed.
Changes: Below is a list of all the fixes included in SocialEngine 4.8.9: (courtesy blog.socialengine.com )
- Fixed compatibility issue in Videos that appeared because of YouTube depreciating their API v2 and switching to v3.Note: After upgrading your website to 4.8.9, you will need to enter a new API key for Google Services, accessible in the Admin > Plugins > Videos > Global Settings section of your site. To learn how to create that key with correct permissions, read our Configuring Admin Panel for YouTube Update article. Fixes #44
- Fixed a compatibility issue with Facebook integration that appeared because of Facebook deprecating their “offline_access” permission. For more details, check out this article on the Facebook integration fix. Fixes #42
- Updated our Ning importer tool, fixing multiple issues and enabling import of pages. Read our Ning Archiver Importer article for more details on this.
- Fixed a log error that appeared when Albums section was being accessed by non-logged users.
- Fixed issue with users receiving two welcome emails in a few cases on signup.
- Fixed issue with “Translation Performance” setting not getting saved in a few cases. Fixes #45
- Fixed an issue where empty Music Playlists were not being displayed in “Manage Playlists” section of administration.
- Fixed issue where incorrect timezone was being displayed in the email that goes to site admin on every new signup.
- Fixed the order of member names that was being displayed in pop-up clicking on or showing list of members’ name in alphabetical order for inviting to join group.
- Fixed issue with “Name” field of signup form that was conflicting with another form’s Name field when existing on same page.
- Fixed issue with newly registered members getting two emails: “Welcome email” and “Welcome email with Password”.
- Fixed an issue where search engines were indexing the website in maintenance mode. Fixes #18
- Fixed issue with search corresponding to custom profile question “Country” that was not working on “Manage Classifieds” page.
- Fixed an issue where a few activity feeds on the “Member Home Page” sometimes appeared missing.
- Fixed issue with “Allow Messaging” setting that was not working fine in mobile site.
- Fixed issue with albums link that was redirecting to a “Page Not Found” message. This appears when a photo received in a message is viewed.
- Fixed an issue where edited discussion posts in Events were displayed with HTML Tags. Fixes #48
- Fixed issue where custom pages having hyphens (-) in their URLs were not working.
- Increased the width of Layout Editor’s “Page Block Placement” area for better accessibility at admin panel.
- Fixed an issue allowing multiple line breaks in comments. Fixes #40
- Fixed an issue that caused photos to turn sideways when captured and uploaded from a few android and iOS devices.
Plugins: We’ve also upgraded Albums, Classifieds, Events, Groups, Mobile, Music and Videos plugins to 4.8.9.
Changelog: You can browse the complete changelog file for more details about the fixes implemented in this release.